Blaze on

I was told when I was a child 
Girls are to be seen and not heard
Girls are to be timid
Don't laugh out loud 
its not really lady like 

I was a strong  girl 
Tall and strapping 
Taller than others my age
I felt so ashamed
A clumsy long limbed clout

I envied the small thin figures
They looked so very delicate
In my size seven shoes
I loomed above most
They had to look up at me

The Mills and Boon books I read
Raved about the dainty damsels
The dark and handsome  young man
Was so enamoured  by her smallness
Her coyness and her helplessness 

I could  never be small
Tall as I was 
And with strong  broad shoulders
I looked athletic and fit
I so hated my strength 

I tried to be what they wanted
Soft spoken and shy
Because I wanted it so bad
I really became just so
Gentle and shy, seen and not heard

I underplayed my strength
I buried my exuberant nature deep
Put on a face of calm serenity
And tried not to run
Walk slow, it is more ladylike

From the outspoken  little  girl
Grew into a shy young woman
Eyes cast down
Lips sealed
Helpless and dependent

They said what a perfect  girl
She is so soft and gentle 
She never talks loudly 
So well behaved
As pretty  as a picture 

I carved and moulded my body
Subjugated my mind
Till I became what they admired
Mild and malleable 
So tolerant and pliable 

Then my world did an about  turn
Perhaps to teach me a lesson
It threw challenges  at me
I had to stand up and  defend
Myself, for there was no one else

I drew upon my inner strength 
That still lived within  me
Got my act together 
Though  it took a very long time
I'll tell you what I learnt
So you can learn  it too

Why should  you  hide your  light under a bushel
Why should  you dim glow of your  soul
Do you even realize how bright you are
Blaze on; let the world gawk 

From childhood  you  were told
That you are nothing special 
That there are hundreds  like you 
You made yourself  like the rest 

Now understand this  
Your uniqueness  is your  best
You are nothing  like the rest 
You are one of a kind

Why did you  cover your  glow
Why did you  let it go 
You are meant to  shine
Believe  in your  light

Was it pure survival
Was it the herd instinct 
To make things uniform 
Escape  from the predator 

Or just shyness
That made you blend
Blend in to the crowd 
Lost among the multitude 

It was sheer folly
Have no fear
Let your  light show
Let people  know 
You are the best!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laughter

Emotional Turbulance

Face to Face